In 2002, a study was conducted on 139 streams in 30 states to look for micro-contaminants in waters that are used as sources of drinking water in the United States. In 80% of these streams, pharmaceutical active substances were identified, along with components used in personal care products (cosmetics) (Koplin et al., 2002). Further studies found that many of these chemical substance passed through municipal wastewater treatment plants without being degraded or removed. The result is that these compounds are being discharged into streams, and it is alleged that these compounds are responsible for exerting adverse effects on wildlife, including the feminization of male fish and inducing sluggish activity levels in fish; three legged amphibians have also been observed (Koplin et al., 2002). With a focus on the residual pharmaceuticals in the environment (PIE), it is clear that these are a direct result of human excretion and direct disposal of medicines into the environment. In 2005, the State of Washington averaged 8.5 prescriptions per capita with a total of 53 million being filled by retail outlets (Koplin et al., 2002). This does not include institutional medicines prescribed in hospitals and nursing homes. The PIE issue has nothing to do with the manufacture of pharmaceuticals as their waste is segregated with specialized treatments for hazardous wastes and for non-hazardous wastes. Hazardous wastes will mostly go to thermal oxidizers for destruction. Non-hazardous waste is regulated by pretreatment categorical standards and by wastewater discharge permits, holding the manufacturing facility to strict performance standards.
Need Help Writing an Essay?
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your paper.Write My Essay For Me
Kolpin, D.W., Furlong, E.T., Meyer, M.T., Thurman, E.M., Zaugg, S.D., Barber, L.B., & Buxton, H.T. (2002). Pharmaceuticals, hormones, and other organic wastewater contaminants in U.S. streams, 1999-2000: A national reconnaissance. Environmental Science and Technology, 36(6), 1202-1211.
Using articles that you find in in your research, put the PIE issue into perspective. Do this by including relevant discussion and analysis on the following areas:
- 1. Outline the political and societal concerns that are related to this issue.
- 2. The sources and impacts of these pharmaceutical residuals (chemical substances) being discharged into streams
- 3. Describe the recommendations and programs in the United States for disposing of unused medicines. Compare these to how medicines are disposed in Europe.
- 4. Make a recommendation to EPA on how unused medicines should be disposed. Make your case for who should pay for the disposal program: the patient, the manufacturer, or the government?
- Regardless of which option you choose to write about, your final product should be a minimum of three pages in length, not including your title page and reference page, and should be in APA style. You are required to use a minimum two scholarly sources, which must be cited and referenced appropriately.
Encyclopedias (online or print), message boards, or any sources that can be amended without educated review, such as Wikipedia, are not considered appropriate. Failure to use appropriate resources can lead to deductions. You are encouraged to use the CSU Online Library for scholarly sources.
Experienced Academic Essay Writers: Premier Essay Writing Services.
Are you in search of a tailored essay service that aligns with your precise requirements? Look no further than study-tutors.com, where we have established ourselves as the foremost source of authentic, top-tier essays offered at student-friendly rates. Our adept writers are dedicated to crafting the paper you require, bolstering your academic achievements along the way. Designed to furnish you with adept writing assistance, our personalized essay writing service is meticulously tailored to foster your success. Should the demands of your college assignments be overwhelming, rest assured that our seasoned essay writers are here to support you every step of the way.