Critiquing a Change Effort
Need Help Writing an Essay?
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your paper.Write My Essay For Me
As a nurse leader, you need to have the skills and knowledge to collaborate and communicate with those who plan for and manage change. This capacity is valuable in any health care setting and for many different types of change. Furthermore, it is essential to be able to evaluate a change effort and determine if it is promoting improved outcomes and making a positive difference within the department or unit, or for the organization as a whole.
- Review Chapters 7 and 8 in the course text. Focus on the strategies for planning and implementing change in an organization, as well as the roles of nurses, managers, and other health care professionals throughout this process.
- Reflect on a specific change that has recently occurred in your organization or one in which you have worked previously. What was the catalyst or purpose of the change?
- How did the change affect your job and responsibilities?
- Consider the results of the change and whether or not the intended outcomes have been achieved.
- Was the change managed skillfully? Why or why not? How might the process have been improved?
Post (1) a summary of a specific change within an organization and describe the impact of this change on your role and responsibilities. (2) Explain the rationale for the change, and whether or not the intended outcomes have been met. (3) Assess the management of the change, and propose suggestions for how the process could have been improved.
- Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2015). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application(8th ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Review Chapter 7, “Strategic and Operational Planning”
- Chapter 8, “Planned Change”
This chapter explores methods for facilitating change and the theoretical underpinnings of implementing effective change
- McAlearney, A., Terris, D., Hardacre, J., Spurgeon, P. Brown, C., Baumgart, A., Nyström, M. (2014). Organizational coherence in health care organizations: Conceptual guidance to facilitate quality improvement and organizational change. Quality Management in Health Care, 23(4), 254-267 doi: 10.1097/QMH.0b013e31828bc37d
An international group of investigators explored the issues of organizational culture and Quality Improvement (QI) in different health care contexts and settings. The aim of the research was to examine if a core set of organizational cultural attributes are associated with successful QI systems.
- Mitchell, G. (2013). Selecting the best theory to implement planned change. Nursing Management – UK, 20(1), 32-37. doi: 10.7748/nm2013.04.20.1.32.e1013
Abstract: Planned change in nursing practice is necessary for a wide range of reasons, but it can be challenging to implement. Understanding and using a change theory framework can help managers or other change agents to increase the likelihood of success. This article considers three change theories and discusses how one in particular can be used in practice.
- Shirey, M. R. (2013). Lewin’s Theory of Planned Change as a strategic resource. The Journal of Nursing Administration, 43(2), 69-72. doi:10.1097/NNA.0b013e31827f20a9
Abstract: This department [manuscript] highlights change management strategies that may be successful in strategically planning and executing organizational change initiatives. With the goal of presenting practical approaches helpful to nurse leaders advancing organizational change, content includes evidence-based projects, tools, and resources that mobilize and sustain organizational change initiatives. In this article, the author explores the use of the Lewin’s Theory of Planned Change as a strategic resource to mobilize the people side of change. An overview of the theory is provided along with a discussion of its strengths, limitations, and targeted application.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2012g). Organizational dynamics: Planned change and project planning. Baltimore, MD: Author.
Note: The approximate length of this media piece is 9 minutes.
In this week’s media presentation, experts discuss how today’s health care organizations can capitalize on the strengths of nurse leaders to plan for and navigate change effectively.Accessible player–Downloads–Download Video w/CCDownload AudioDownload Transcript
- Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2015). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application(8th ed.). Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
- Chapter 9, “Time Management”
- Batras, D., Duff, C., & Smith, B. J. (2014). Organizational change theory: implications for health promotion practice. Health Promotion International, Retrieved from MEDLINE with Full Text, EBSCOhost
This article reviews select organizational change models to identify the most pertinent insights for health promotion practitioners.
Experienced Academic Essay Writers: Premier Essay Writing Services.
Are you in search of a tailored essay service that aligns with your precise requirements? Look no further than study-tutors.com, where we have established ourselves as the foremost source of authentic, top-tier essays offered at student-friendly rates. Our adept writers are dedicated to crafting the paper you require, bolstering your academic achievements along the way. Designed to furnish you with adept writing assistance, our personalized essay writing service is meticulously tailored to foster your success. Should the demands of your college assignments be overwhelming, rest assured that our seasoned essay writers are here to support you every step of the way.