Nursing Management: Module 4
Reference textbook: Sullivan, E.J. (2012). Effective leadership and management in nursing. (8th Ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice-Hall. ISBN-10: 0132814544 | ISBN-13: 978-0132814546
Chapters: 5, 9, 11, 12
4.1 Module IV Overview
Change, Conflict Management,
Team Building, Communication
Module IV concentrates on the following course outcomes—
- Critique communication processes encountered in practice seen in terms of client and organizational outcomes.
- There will be discussion of change theories and successful implementation of change. Team building will be presented, including an analysis of team communication. Both management and followership roles will be discussed.
Sullivan: 5, 9, 11, 12
Change defines healthcare and organizations. Today’s organizations are driven by changes in technology, economics, demographics and the need to comply with government rules/regulations and consumer demands for quality affordable care. All of that and more in an environment struggling for financial viability. The professional nurse must understand the process of change, including driving forces of change, change theories and models, communication strategies to effect change and common barriers to change. One of the primary roles of the nurse manager is that of change agent. It is a responsibility of both managers and staff nurses within healthcare organizations to understand the costs and benefits of change. Resistance to change is evidenced in many ways, some common barriers include: fear of unknown, real or perceived stress, loss of status and power, increase in unmet needs. Lewin’s Change Model is a traditionally accepted change model. It incorporates steps for doe implementing planned change. Change is a systematic process and organizations use tools to monitor the process of change. The Havelock Model of Planned Change serves as an additional resource for systematically implementing change.
Conflict management, team building and the communication processes of the nursing team are integral in delivering quality patient outcomes. The nurse must understand the importance of cultural diversity in nursing management and how diversity affects care delivery. Finally, the concept of polarity management is introduced to assist nurses in being able to embrace ambiguity and balance mutually important but competing concepts.
- Briefly explain one of the Change theories, including its steps; and how you have seen it used in the organization. Was it effective or not and if not, why not.
- Discuss common barriers to change and who is typically involved in blocking change.
- Describe five common approaches to conflict resolution and their effectiveness. How is conflict resolution handled in your organization?
Professional college paper writers: #1 Best Essay Writer: Are you looking for a custom essay service to accommodate your specific needs? At study-tutors.com, we have earned the reputation for being a leading provider of original, high-quality essays at affordable prices. Our professional writers will do their best to create a paper you need and help you succeed in studying. Our custom essay writing service is aimed at giving you the professional writing help you need to succeed. If you do not have the time for all your college writings, our experienced essay writer will have your back.
Order Original and Plagiarism-free Answers Written from Scratch
GET ESSAY WRITING HELP!
- Any citation style
- 24/7/365 Live support
- 100% Original
- No hidden charges