Write a 750–1000-word blog post (3–4 pages) for a student nursing Web site that examines how evidence-based health care leads to better clinical decisions and patient outcomes.
The nursing profession has changed dramatically in recent years. Today, nurses are called upon to translate best evidence into clinical practice. In most health care settings, bridging the gap from research to clinical practice is a dynamic ongoing process.
By successfully completing the assessment in this unit, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Evaluate scholarly nursing literature that supports evidence-based nursing practice.
- Describe how research affects existing knowledge within professional nursing.
- Explain how evidence-based patient care can improve the quality of care.
- Describe clinical strategies that help foster evidence-based nursing practice.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a manner that is consistent with expectations of nursing professionals.
- Write content clearly and logically, with correct use of grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- Correctly format citations and references using APA style.
Florence Nightingale pioneered the concept of using research in nursing, yet during the first half of the 20th century, very little was done to advance this thinking. Since that time, the nursing profession has diligently worked to improve patient care through the application of research findings, or more commonly known as evidence-based practice (EBP). Evidence-based practice is the “conscientious and judicious use of current best evidence in conjunction with clinical expertise and patient values to guide health care decisions” (Titler, 2008, para. 3).
As a professional, staying abreast of current research by reading nursing literature is integral to your intellectual growth and the continuing enrichment of clinical skills. We share knowledge to become better caregivers and encourage positive patient outcomes. Evidence-based research along with clinical experience and patient values should guide your nursing practice.
Titler, M. G. (2008). The evidence for evidence-based practice Implementation. In R. G. Hughes (Ed.), Patient safety and quality: An evidence-based handbook for nurses. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2659/
Questions to Consider
To deepen your understanding, you are encouraged to consider the questions below and discuss them with a fellow learner, a work associate, an interested friend, or a member of your professional community.
- How has the role of a professional nurse changed since you obtained your nursing license?
- How has EBP advanced the nursing profession?
- How does evidence-based research translate to positive patient outcomes?
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Finkelman, A., & Kenner, C. (2013). Professional nursing concepts: Competencies for quality leadership (2nd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Chapter 11.
- Chapter 13.
- Brown, S. J. (2014). Evidence-based nursing: The research–practice connection (3rd ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett Learning.
- Part 2.
- Godshall, M. (2016). Fast facts for evidence-based practice in nursing: Implementing EBP in a nutshell (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Chapter 1.
- Chrisman, J., Jordan, R., Davis, C., & Williams, W. (2014). Exploring evidence-based practice research. Nursing Made Incredibly Easy, 12(4), 8–12.
- Arzouman, J. (2015). Evidence-based practice: Share the spirit of inquiry. MEDSURG Nursing, 24(4), 209–211.
- Lindberg, C. (2015). Evidence-based practice: Be a champion! MCN, The American Journal of Maternal/Child Nursing, 40(4), 209.
- Stevens, K. R. (2013). The impact of evidence-based practice in nursing and the next big ideas. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing, 18(2), 122–124.
- Ardito, S. C. (2013). Seeking consumer health information on the Internet. Online Searcher, 37(4), 45–48.
- Linton, M. J., & Prasun, M. A. (2013). Evidence-based practice: Collaboration between education and nursing management. Journal of Nursing Management, 21(1), 5–16.
For assistance when researching general nursing topics, refer to the Nursing (BSN) Library Research Guide.
In addition, a unique Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the BSN-FP4001 – Orientation to Baccalaureate Nursing Library Guide to help direct your research.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- American Nurses Association. (n.d.). The nursing process. Retrieved from http://www.nursingworld.org/EspeciallyForYou/What-is-Nursing/Tools-You-Need/Thenursingprocess.html
- S. Department of Health and Human Services, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. (n.d.). National guideline clearinghouse. Retrieved from www.guidelines.gov
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Blais, K., & Hayes, J. (2016). Professional nursing practice: Concepts and perspectives (7th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.
- Chapter 8, “The Nurse as a Learner and Teacher.”
- Chapter 10, “The Nurse’s Role in Evidence-based Health Care.”
Search the Internet for scholarly and professional peer-reviewed articles on evidence-based nursing practice. You will need at least three articles to use as support for your work on this assessment.
As a health care professional and a new BSN learner you have been asked to contribute a blog post on evidence-based practice to a new Web site for student nurses. The site editor has asked you to write a post that explores the following key questions:
- How does research affect existing medical knowledge and practice?
- How can evidence-based patient care improve the quality of care?
- What types of clinical strategies help foster an evidence-based nursing practice?
- Which component of the nursing process is evidence-based practice aligned with?
When writing a blog post, keep in mind that long blocks of text are hard for readers to digest, especially when reading on mobile devices. Format your document by breaking up your content into shorter paragraphs, bullet points, and lists whenever possible. Also, if you can, work in some subheadings.
Your blog post should meet the following criteria:
- Contain 750–1000 words (3–4 pages).
- Include a reference page.
- Be readable, concise, with a logical ordering of ideas.
- Provide a sound rationale for ideas, including background.
- Provide adequate documentation of ideas and appropriate APA citation of relevant literature.
- Use a minimum of three references. (These must be recent, from within the past five years).
Professional college paper writers: #1 Best Essay Writer: Are you looking for a custom essay service to accommodate your specific needs? At study-tutors.com, we have earned the reputation for being a leading provider of original, high-quality essays at affordable prices. Our professional writers will do their best to create a paper you need and help you succeed in studying. Our custom essay writing service is aimed at giving you the professional writing help you need to succeed. If you do not have the time for all your college writings, our experienced essay writer will have your back.
Order Original and Plagiarism-free Answers Written from Scratch
GET ESSAY WRITING HELP!
- Any citation style
- 24/7/365 Live support
- 100% Original
- No hidden charges