While working in the business office of a primary care medical facility, you come across records showing that one of your daughter’s grade-school teachers has been prescribed antipsychotic medication for the control of schizophrenia. Although you have been told to respect patient confidentiality in the workplace, you fear the potential harm such a person could cause in a position of authority over children. Develop your position on this ethical issue. What would you do?
Need Help Writing an Essay?
Tell us about your assignment and we will find the best writer for your paper.Write My Essay For Me
Write a paper addressing this topic, supporting your position with credible research. You may begin your research with suggested Resources, but you are also expected to conduct your own independent research into the scholarly and professional resources of the field. The Capella library is recommended as a source for reliable materials.
In explaining your position, address each of the following questions:
- What features of the situation are relevant for making a moral decision?,
- What would a deontologist like Immanuel Kant recommend?,
- What would a consequentialist like John Stuart Mill recommend?,
- How do you justify your own decision about what to do?
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Include a title page and a references page, formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- References: A typical paper will include support from a minimum of 3–5 references. You may use some of the materials recommended in the Resources, but you should also include support from your independent research of scholarly or professional materials.
- Length: A typical paper will be 4–6 typed, double-spaced pages in length.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
Resources on Theories
- Fieser, J. (n.d.). Ethics. Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://www.iep.utm.edu/ethics/
- Kemerling, G. (2011). Utilitarianism. The Philosophy Pages. Retrieved from http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/5q.htm
- Alexander, L., & Moore, M. (2012, December 12). Deontological ethics. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-deontological/
- Sinnot-Armstrong, W. (2011, September 27). Consequentialism. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/consequentialism/
- Ethics Updates. (2011, July 10). Introduction to moral theory. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/theories/Intro/index.asp
- Ethics Updates. (2010, November 2). Utilitarianism. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/theories/Utilitarianism/index.asp
Resources on Theorists
- Kemerling, G. (2011). Kant: The moral order. The Philosophy Pages. Retrieved from http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/5i.htm
- Johnson, R. (2008, April 6). Kant’s moral philosophy. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/kant-moral/
- Ethics Updates. (2010, November 2). Kant and Kantian ethics. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/theories/Kant/index.asp
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Rachels, J., & Rachels, S. (2015). The elements of moral philosophy(8th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.
- Chapter 7, “The Utilitarian Approach.”
- Chapter 8, “The Debate Over Utilitarianism.”
- Chapter 9, “Are There Absolute Moral Rules?”
- Chapter 10, “Kant and Respect for Persons.”
Experienced Academic Essay Writers: Premier Essay Writing Services.
Are you in search of a tailored essay service that aligns with your precise requirements? Look no further than study-tutors.com, where we have established ourselves as the foremost source of authentic, top-tier essays offered at student-friendly rates. Our adept writers are dedicated to crafting the paper you require, bolstering your academic achievements along the way. Designed to furnish you with adept writing assistance, our personalized essay writing service is meticulously tailored to foster your success. Should the demands of your college assignments be overwhelming, rest assured that our seasoned essay writers are here to support you every step of the way.