Write a paper in which you explain your own basis for making ethical decisions. You are welcome to employ what you have learned from your study of traditional approaches, but you may also develop your own distinctive approach. In either case, explain in some detail exactly what foundation and process you rely on for choosing the right course of action, and support your statements with research from professional or scholarly resources.
As part of your paper, select a contemporary ethical issue about which you have strong convictions. It may be a social issue—such as environmental ethics, marriage equality, or bioethics—or a more personal issue—sexual morality, familial obligations, or care for the elderly, for example. The choice is up to you, but make it something you care about enough to make this project interesting and worthwhile. Address the following in regard to your chosen ethical issue:
- Summarize the issue and explain alternative views about its resolution.
- Assess both sides of the issue, critically analyzing the advantages and disadvantages of each.
- Finally, show how and why your own position is correct. Think of this as an opportunity to persuade potential opponents of the reasonableness of your view.
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Include a title page and a references page, formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- References: A typical paper will include support from a minimum of 3–5 references. You may use some of the materials recommended in the Resources, but you should also include support from your independent research of scholarly or professional materials.
- Length: A typical paper will be 4–6 typed, double-spaced pages in length.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the PHI-FP2000 – Ethics Library Guide to help direct your research.
Access the following resources by clicking the links provided. Please note that URLs change frequently. Permissions for the following links have been either granted or deemed appropriate for educational use at the time of course publication.
- Dittmer, J. (n.d.). Applied ethics. Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://www.iep.utm.edu/ap-ethic/
- Kemerling, G. (2011). Animal rights. The Philosophy Pages. Retrieved from http://www.philosophypages.com/dy/a4.htm#anir
- Kemerling, G. (2011). Sartre: Existential life. The Philosophy Pages. Retrieved from http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/7e.htm
- Gowans, C. (2008, December 9). Moral relativism. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/moral-relativism/
- Hursthouse, R. (2012, March 8). Virtue ethics. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/ethics-virtue/
- Kraut, R. (2014, April 21). Aristotle’s ethics. The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristotle-ethics/
- Ethics Updates. (2011, June 18). Basic moral orientations. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/presentations/Theory/BasicOrientations/index.asp
- Ethics Updates. (2010, November 2). Environmental ethics. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/Applied/Environment/index.asp
- Ethics Updates. (2010, November 2). Sexual orientation. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/Applied/SexualOrientation/index.asp
- Ethics Updates. (2011, October 1) . World hunger. Retrieved from http://ethics.sandiego.edu/Applied/WorldHunger/index.asp
Professional college paper writers: #1 Best Essay Writer: Are you looking for a custom essay service to accommodate your specific needs? At study-tutors.com, we have earned the reputation for being a leading provider of original, high-quality essays at affordable prices. Our professional writers will do their best to create a paper you need and help you succeed in studying. Our custom essay writing service is aimed at giving you the professional writing help you need to succeed. If you do not have the time for all your college writings, our experienced essay writer will have your back.
Order Original and Plagiarism-free Answers Written from Scratch
GET ESSAY WRITING HELP!
- Any citation style
- 24/7/365 Live support
- 100% Original
- No hidden charges